Saturday, January 23

Vacation Nesting. Colombia.



We leave for Colombia on Monday. We as in Eric and I--and no kids. My wonderful in laws are staying at our house with our kids while we go off adventuring throughout the Colombian country. And, while I am beyond thankful, I still have this little bit of panic in me everytime we leave our kids that induces me what I call vaction nesting. 

The closer we get to the actual date of departure, the crazier of task I deem nessecary to complete before we leave. So several days ago, I decided to clean out the pantry. A completely reasonable choice of tasks. I loved the new minimally stocked pantry and couldn't bare to put back in the costco sized box of rice krispies. I mean it did block the view of the open pasta and rice.  Eric tried several times to squeeze it in, questioning "are we just going to leave it on the counter for the next two weeks?" Cmon, why isn't that a reasonable option? So, yesterday, to solve the problem I decided to make peanut butter rice krispy treats with melted chocolate. AND...at the same time, I also decided to change out an electrical outlet in our bedroom and to juggle things even just a bit more Graham also called from school informing me he was sick and I was to pick him up. 

 So I left the sticky bowls and scattered rice krispys. I also left the outlet half detached from the wall and the power shut off to house. I committed to memory where the wires were on the outlet so I could simply reattach the wires when I got back from picking up graham. Except I couldn't remember. Of course. So I wired it up in the way that made the most sense to me which turned out to be wrong. Several tries later, I decided to call in back up when Graham yelled at me that the outlet was now charred with burnt marks from sparks and I needed to quit trying. (I'm not a quitter, what is wrong with him?)  But since back up just so happens to be my dad, who was an electrician his entire life, why not call? I asked him to talk me through it over the phone but heard him say to my mom "Janet, we better just go down there." I guess my description of electrical fires starting left him questioning my competence. The good news is that I could pay him in rice krispy treats! ha. 

The electric outlet was repaired with him helping me through the process and by a run to the hardware store to purchase  a new non charred outlet. Power and lights were restored. "Now you just have to push the outlet carefully back into the box and screw it on." I clearly missed the word "carefully" and a good shock to my left hand and arm later...I was told "all good electrician have to be initiated with a good shock!" Thanks, Dad. I'll take that as you asking me if I'm OK... 

And, if my nesting weren't enough, Eric has suddenly questioned me on exactly which parts of Colombia we are headed to and are they all relatively safe--afterall, "Colombia does have a travel warning from the US department of State". I may have rolled my eyes and told him not to over pack. Then this morning, he randomly turned on NPR to listen to on the way to his trail run.  What was airing?? An interview with author, Ingrid Betancourt. The title of her book... Even Silence has an End: My six years of captivity in the Colombian Jungle.

Please tell me this isn't some sort of sign...

0 comments:

Blog Archive

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP